Kimberly Tronic, a freelance copywriter living in Los Angeles, is a two-time Stage Three ovarian cancer survivor. Despite losing her hair, ovaries, uterus, spleen, and breasts, she gained a whole new attitude and perspective. Kimberly documented the journey in her memoir, Dear Diary, Does This Cancer Make My Ass Look Fat? – a collection of diary entries that depicts her new sense of self among the baldness, breakdowns, and breakthroughs. Through her writing, volunteering, and speaking opportunities, Kimberly is determined to share her tumor humor with anyone facing challenges in their own life – because a little darkness doesn’t have to dampen your spirit…and laughter is always the perfect prescription.
We have a great conversation about cancer, living life to the fullest, and overcoming fear.
- You may not even realize it, but by telling your story, you give others permission to tell theirs.
- Sometimes, bad things that happen to us can have good side effects.
- Your attitude is everything.
- The only way out is through
- Where there’s a will, there’s a way. Nothing is impossible.
- Make the best decision you can with the information you have at the time. That’s okay. That’s all any of us can do.
- You’re gonna create a lot of shitty work on the way to creating good work. It’s part of the process. Just accept it and keep creating.
- Artists are never done learning. There is always more to learn.
- Writing is an excellent coping mechanism.
- Aim higher! Who cares if you fail. Failing is part of success.
- What if we lived in a place of hope instead of fear? (39 minutes)
- When you are unapologetically yourself, you give others to do the same.
- Take an improv class.
- Life is short. Own your life, don’t be afraid, go for what you want.
Mentioned in this Episode
Kim’s book: Dear Diary Does This Cancer Make My Ass Look Fat?
Tig Notaro, “Hello, I Have Cancer” routine
Songs Played In This Episode
“Super Cool” by Bang Sugar Bang
“Two Bullets” by Bang Sugar Bang
Connect With Kim
FB: Kimberly Tronic
Thank you for listening!
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, leave us an awesome review ☺️, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter and Instagram! We want to hear from you!
If you have questions or comments, click here.
GXRL is recorded with SquadCast